LEA propose a Holistic, Tangible and Adaptive Enterprise Architecture method as an effort to break through the bottleneck of EA evolution.
THE LEA CONCEPT
EA IS A CHANGE OF CONCEPT FROM STOVEPIPE APPROACH TO HOLISTIC APPROACH
Enterprise Architecture is a conceptual change from the stovepipe to holistic which enable common people to know the parts and see the whole in other word to know the tree and see the forest. The capability to know the parts and see the whole bridging the gaps between the philosophy of atomism and holism and integrate the power of left/right brain. It is not an enterprise scale solution architecture.
The scientific and engineering community are trained to decompose and knowing the parts and trying to see the whole based on the sum of its parts. However, this approach have encountered significant limitation on explaining nature phenomenon and the organic world because the whole is much grater than the sum of it parts. As Modern physics have evolved with holistic inspiration in filed theory and quantum theory, It is a right direction for EA to incorporate holistic inspiration to see the whole, adopting to change and incorporating social field theory in enterprise culture.
“Enterprise” is the key to constitute Enterprise Architecture
Major Enterprise Architecture methods which evolved from stovepipe architecture principle, have focused on the how to architecture without making special effort on the key of “Enterprise”. As a result, instead of a emerging paradigm, EA itself become redundant discipline with different skin.
What is enterprise?
Enterprise Architecture has been a confusing title. The word of “Enterprise” is very abstract and subject to various interpretation. Many people have suggested to replace “Enterprise” with “Organization”. The following figure may help to explain what is “Enterprise” for audience thinks from the aspect of philosophy, logical and physical.
LEA have developed Enterprise Map as the image of enterprise
I is profound to explain “What is Enterprise?” from the aspect of philosophical, conceptual, logical. For most people it is more straight forward to see the image of enterprise where every one can find a place they belongs to.
Holistic Framework is a holistic thinking tool, it is not an approach
As a conceptual change from stovepipe method to the holistic approach, John Zachman have observed the popular Zachman framework as the foundation of EA to describe mechanical system such as airplane from the whole. However, Enterprise is organic where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. LEA introduce an organic whole framework based on the the concept of Wu-Xing in the holistic philosophy from ancient China as shown in the following figure.
A TANGIBLE ARCHITECTURE APPROACH WITH ARCHITECTURE DRAWING
LEA adapt the traditional architecture drawing which have served as the most efficient architecture information container to communicate with stake holders as shown in the following picture.
Use architecture drawing on computer to unveil the hidden treasure in EA repository
AN ADAPTIVE EA IN A 3X3 MATRIX
Enterprise is organic which change constantly, It is futile to EA in a big bang approach. LEA propose an 3×3 adaptive EA approach in the following figure.
EA in three directions
Stovepipe Architecture is mainly based on vertical and hierarchical architecture principle to decompose and align, EA is based on the following three principle:
- The Alignment architecture principle in vertical direction to discomposes and align.
- The Cross-cut architecture principle in horizontal direction to enable enterprise agility via reuse and consolidate.
- The Iterative architecture principle in circular direction in adopting to change and close the gaps between strategy and execution.
EA in Three Tiers
EA is a three tier approach in adapting to change.
- Notional EA: Notional Architecture, which is mile wide and inch deep, enable every one know the enterprise to see the whole and know the parts. However, It is high level and not practical for transition planning and road mapping.
- Segment EA: Organization adapting to change via segment architecture to close business performance gaps due to constant change. It is the practical EA for making transition and plan the road map as described in major EA approach such as EAP. FEAF, TOGAF, DODAF .
- Daily EA: Enterprise Architects are the “Glue” not the “Guru” to work with strategists, decision makers, planners, designers, developers and managers in security, in procurement, in project management. They are the “Glue” to enable enterprise agility via reuse and collaboration via standardization. They are in no position as the “Guru” to command and control.