THE ART OF BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION
Business management has been more art than science, it is not repeatable, a successful story for one organization is not necessary the best practice for the others.
ENGINEERING EFFORT TO TRANSFORM BUSINESS
In the scientific age, people have applied systematic discipline to architecture and engineering field. Adopting systematic approach will enable a structured enterprise which becomes more efficient.The popular image of modern science is atomic. There are many effort to improve business management in a scientific approach. “Business Transformation” has been an established paradigm for many years through the evolution in strategic planning, industrial engineering, operation research Business Processes Reengineering. Total Quality Management. Science is narrowly defined from the perception of atomism and the Scientific community hold the mode holistic thinking to be “primitive” and claims that it is replaced by a formal , logical, atomistic and mechanistic mode of thought in the modern era. Much of the US public had not heard of holism at all.
Business management in engineering approach
People have applied systematic discipline to architecture and engineering field. Adopting systematic approach will enable a structured enterprise which becomes more efficient.
Business process re-engineering originally pioneered in the early 1990s, focusing on the analysis and design of workflows and business processes within an organization. BPR aimed to help organizations fundamentally rethink how they do their work in order to dramatically improve customer service, cut operational costs, and become world-class competitors.
Total quality management (TQM) consists of organization-wide efforts to install and make permanent a climate in which an organization continuously improves its ability to deliver high-quality products and services to customers. While there is no widely agreed-upon approach, TQM efforts typically draw heavily on the previously developed tools and techniques of quality control.
Enterprise Engineering James Martin has pioneered the Enterprise Engineering, 1994 based on the mechanical and atomic engineering principle. He defined Enterprise Engineering as
“Enterprise Engineering is an integrated set of disciplines For building or changing an enterprise, its processes, and systems. It integrates the most powerful change methods and makes them succeed…Enterprise Engineering provides management with a tool box of change methods. It aims to select and integrate the most powerful methods so that management can plan and succeed with complex change while continuing to run the business.
A NEW PARADIGM FOR PROSPERITY
Dariene D. Collins in Holistic Approach to Business: A New Paradigm for Prosperity said
Holism is well established as a concept in science, sociology, medicine, religion, psychology, and philosophy. However, the concept of holism in economics or business has only recently emerged.
Royer (1997) suggests that holism is an approach to conducting business that requires the organization to know its purpose, understand its purpose, and act on its purpose. In a study of holism in the work environment, Molinaro (1997) suggests that the western world view which focuses on materialism, technology, and power is causing many of the global problems the world is experiencing, and he states, “If we are to resolve our global problems we must redefine the role of work, so that it is more humane, spiritual, and ecological.”
BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION IN AN ENGINEERING AND HOLISTIC APPROACH
Enterprise is organic which does not only consist the Enterprise Structure (body) but also the Enterprise Management (Mind). it can only be transformed in engineering and holistic approach.
Transforming enterprise is only a matter of transforming the enterprise structure (the body) but also transforming the enterprise management (The mind).
LEA transform business in a mechanic and organic approach based the following framework where the mechanical framework is based on system architecture and the Organic framework is based on influence diagram. Enterprise Architecture support decision making and strategic planing but the EA community have failed to recognize the business community makes decision based on Influence Diagram rather than system architecture.
Architect Enterprise Structure in an Engineering Approach
- Mechanical analysis is System Architecture oriented.
- The vertical alignment architecture enable enterprise to align resources with business need.
- The Horizontal architecture enable enterprise agility in adopting to change by sharing, reuse and learning experiences of the others.
Architect Enterprise management in a holistic approach to explores the relationship between man, experience and context requires new approaches to communication, decision-making, policy-making and knowledge management in complex social environments. Enterprise make business decision holistically based the coherent influence relation between Profit (Why), investment (What), operation (How) , people (Who), timing (When), location (Where). For example: Open up a franchise location.
- Organic analysis is Influence Diagram oriented. Business community make decision and strategic planning based on influence relation rather than structure relation.
- Managing enterprise components are an organic individual instead of mechanical parts under the Macrocosm and Microcosm philosophy.
- Facilitate enterprise collaborative culture based on Social Fields theory.
- Enable enterprise agility in adopting to the constant change with time.
- Support decision making and strategic planning based influence relation and statistical patterns.
- Manage and transform enterprise by seeking coherence.
THE ADAPTIVE ENTERPIRSE ARCHITECTURE MODEL
An adaptive EA model is developed based on the Engineering and Holistic EA framework . The 3×3 adaptive EA framework architect enterprise in three direction of vertical alignment , horizontal cross-cut and circular coherence and adopt to change three tiers of Notional EA, Execution-able EA and Daily EA.
The alignment architecture align business resources to business need; enable agility by reuse, sharing and learning experience of the others; The coherence architecure adopting to change by seeking coherence; The Nontional EA, analogy to city planing, plans the enterprise highh level big picture; The segment architecuture, which is executable, close the gaps in adapting to change; The Daily EA enable agile solution architecure in adopting to change in time of need.
This EA model clearly distinguish EA from Enterpirse Wide Solution architecture.
Enterprise Architecture is complementary to Solution Architecture to overcome the challenge of stovepipe, it is not an advanced solution architecture practice to architect the enterprie wide solution architecture blueprint. However, EA is frequently confused as enterprise wide solution architecutre because the initial EA model is evolved from system architecture concept. For example the NIST EA model developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in 1989, and it have became widely accepted and promoted within the U.S. federal government as an Enterprise Architecture management tool in 1990s. This EA model have contribute to the EA confusion with SA.
This web site leverage on web 2.0 technology to serve as a platform in developing not ony the ideal but also the practical guide. Instead of working in the ivory tower, the intend is to share the concept and looking for feed back from the readers. It is a dynamic web site and the content change continuously along with new understanding and feed back from readers. It is also a major undertake in six sections as shown in the following sections. The first three sections develop the ideal on transforming enterprise in an Engineering and Holistic approach and follow up with the practical guide on how to implement this approach.
Enterprise Architecture is a holistic architecture to overcome the redundant investment in stovepipe system and information islands. In the context of Enterprise Architecture, “Enterprise” is a functional whole which can be a government, an organization, a corporation, a company. The subdivisions and branches are also considered as functional whole. Each functional whole consist of the mechanical side and the organic side in a layman’s term the body and soul.
. The mechanical whole is structure based between mechanic parts.
. The Organic whole is influence diagram based between organic parts with the constant change of fields an time.
THE PRACTICAL GUIDE TO TRANSFORM BUSINESS IN ENGINEERING AND HOLISTIC APPROACH
The practical guide reader on how to implement in the follow sections, please follow the menu bar to explore each section. It transform the Enterprise using the Holistic and Engineering approach from the aspects of The whole, The social filed theory of culture. the enterprise body (the mechanical structure), the enterprise processes, the enterprise technologies and strategic planning. It transform the enterprise by seeking coherence as shown in the following figure.
- Collaborative Culture (Section 3): Under holistic inspiration, fields theory has been introduced in modern physics. Under atomistic and holistic domain, Collaborative culture is considered as the enterprise fields which consist of communication, knowledge management, Governance and security. Enterprise architects are the “Glue” to facilitate collaborative culture not the “Guru” to design a frozen blueprint in command and control approach.
- Business Structure (Section 4) : Use the atomistic + Holistic architecture to architect the enterprise business from the aspect of business capability, business resources, Business Governance, supply chain and service management.
- Business process (Section 5 )
- Adaptive IT Architecture (Section 6) : Taking advantage of the rapid technologies evolution to support enterprise collaborative culture and enterprise business by using the 3×3 complex adaptive IT architecture. An adaptive IT enterprise architecture is a three tier EA method for the purpose of adopting to change. The first tier is to establish the static master plan and notional architecture; The second tier is to practice the segment architecture approach to close the enterprise performance gaps due to constant change; The third tier is the daily EA which suggest that Enterprise Architects are the “Glue” not the “Guru”. They enable the enterprise agility for both the business and IT community in adopting to change .
- Strategic Planning (Section 7)
Audience : for all level
This is a complex WordPress web site and the readers can easily get lost in the jungle of these sites. Each site consist of a Menu bar on the top to access each chapter in the sections. please use Site Map on the menu bar to get oriented.
This website is a working place to develop this method
This website is a dynamic working place to develop the Holistic and Mechanic Architecture method.rather to than a static website with finish touch. It is developed using WordPress sites which enable the author to develop online to capture the authors rapid evolving new thought and understanding both from research and feed back from the readers. It consist not only the concept but also the step by step approach to implement this method.
The Light Enterprise Architecture Presentation
Intend to write a book online, this website contain significant information, the author has also prepare Powerpoint Presentation in the following link as an alternative to comprehend the concept.
The LEA concept